An egg (uncooked)
A glass big enought for the egg to fit into
Salt (lots of salt)
1. Fill the glass three quarters full of water.
2. Put the egg into the water, it should sink (if it doesn’t grab a different egg).
3. Now put in salt and stir.
4. Keep putting in salt and stirring until the egg no longer sinks but actually
5. If you’re lucky, you may reach a point where the egg neither sinks nor
floats but hangs in the middle.
The reason for this is buoyancy. The egg is less bouyant (more dense) than
the water so it sinks. As you add salt you increase the density of the water
until the water is more dense than the egg and the egg floats.